Pro Photo HOME
Go Back   Pro Photo HOME > Professional Photography Discussion- Full Access for Premium Members > Sports

Notices

LinkBack (7) Thread Tools Display Modes
  7 links from elsewhere to this Post. Click to view. #1  
Old 04-14-2006, 09:19 PM
Basic Member

Jeffrey_Douglas 10
Youth Sports creative poses

Wondering if anyone has any examples of non-traditional, creative poses for youth sports like baseball, soccer, basketball and football.

I've been shooting team and individual for these sports but I really want to just do individual shots for parents who are willing to pay a little more for better and more creative poses.

I don't need to sell a ton of photos because I do have a day job. I want to offer a better quality product that I enjoy shooting.

If anyone has any examples of interesting poses that are not just the normal boring stuff that you are willing to post I would appreciate it. I'm not trying to knock the normal stuff because I know it pays the bills for many photographers.

Thanks in advance.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-21-2006, 12:30 PM
Basic Member

Carl_Auer 10
Re: Youth Sports creative poses

I do not have them right in front of me, but for basketball this past season I did some fun portraits. Had a guard get in a defensive position and shot him with his arms in three different positions and combined them in Photoshop for a 6 armed defender look. Took one kid who could really jump, placed a strobe about a foot from the rim at 10 feet high with a softbox and shot him going up for a dunk but looking at the camera with a smirk on his face.

For baseball this season I want to do action portraits. I am thinking about standing close to second and have a kid jump and throw like he is turning a double play or getting down real low and having a kid slide into second head first. I am also experimenting with rubber cement and fire on baseballs and old bats. Get a fun shot of a hot pitcher or a slugger on fire. Of course a bucket of water and a fire extinguisher are on hand.

Combine these photos with some Photoshop work or templates from some place like Artistic Action and you have a winner.

Whenever I need portrait inspiration, I look at the work of Robert Seale of the Sporting News. He always has some incredible and stunning portrait shots of athletes.

Good luck...

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!