Pro Photo HOME
Go Back   Pro Photo HOME > Professional Digital Workflow Discussion - Full Access for Premium Members > Printing

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2004, 06:12 PM
Basic Member

rolland_elliott 10
Cutting down 36\" roll paper to 17\" for Epson 4000

I bought some Epson Premium Luster 36" roll paper on ebay for $100 a roll. I used a bigger than normal hack saw to cut it into two 17.5" rolls of paper. The widest paper the Epson 4000 will accept is 17.75"

The cut on one side is a little rough, but I can always simply use my paper cutter after it has printed on the paper.

I used a miter to make sure the cut was square and true , but even then due to the thickness of the roll I was off 1/4" of an inch by the time I got to the bottom, even with this error, I have enough play to make great 16" wide prints and simply trim off the jagged side.

Use some clear packaging tape to tightly wrap around the roll where the cut will be; this will insure the paper cut is clean and smooth.

Takes around 1/2 hour to cut through a roll, so be patient.

If you have a horizontal band saw use it! that would be the prefect tool! Unfortunately all the local hardware stores only rented portabarel saws and they are not big enough for the job.

Custs paper costs in half!

Peace, Rolland

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-19-2004, 06:38 PM
Basic Member

Scot_Perry 10
Re: Cutting down 36\" roll paper to 17\" for Epson 4000

All depends on how you value your time. Also be aware the cut paper end might leave alot of dust in printer which can get on the printhead and cause you all kinds of grief and potentially money. The print head may also hit the rough end if it does not stay down properly leading to clogs or printhead replacement. They make roll slitters and sometimes local sign supply stores have them and will cut paper down for you for a small fee.

Scot Perry

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-19-2004, 06:52 PM
Premium Lifetime Member

DonLashier 10

I've cut rolls on my table saw. I'm sure a band saw would be preferable, but the table saw works fine although you may have to rotate the roll to cut all the way thru. I wrap the roll in wrapping paper first.

- DL

Old 07-19-2004, 08:46 PM
Basic Member

rolland_elliott 10

" Also be aware the cut paper end might leave alot of dust in printer which can get on the printhead and cause you all kinds of grief and potentially money."

You know you shouldn't knock it till you try it. there is no reason for a lot of dust to be left over, maybe if you saw how clean a cut it produces you wouldn't cry the sky is falling.

Old 07-19-2004, 11:16 PM
Basic Member

Scot_Perry 10

Sorry if I offended it was not my intention I just know dust is a cumulative problem been printing a very long time since the first 36" encad. Dust collection is cumulative and I avoid it also have no need to try it as I can have a friend roll slit it if I found it necessary.

Old 07-20-2004, 12:04 AM
Basic Member

rolland_elliott 10

Roll slitters are pretty easy to make. You need a take up reel and a supply reel. Inbetween you just need a flat bed with an upside down exacto blade stuck where you want the cut to occur.
Take some styrofoam line it with felt and press down on the paper as it goes from one reel to the other and you end up with a clean cut.

I've done it with film before.

However, I had no desire to spend one hour to make a paper slitter, when I could cut a few rolls of paper in the same amount of time.

Peace, Rolland

Old 07-20-2004, 10:28 AM
Basic Member

Ken_Buck 10

I have aslo used a table saw to cut the paper down, it works fine...just make sure you get a good sharp fine cutting blade...it'll keep the jaggies away. I'm not sure about the Epson's but with the HP's you want to make sure to cut the left side of the paper because the printer aligns it's self with the right, so if you cut is not the straightest it may not load or will skew.

-Ken-