Pro Photo HOME
Go Back   Pro Photo HOME > Professional Digital Workflow Discussion - Full Access for Premium Members > Photoshop and other Image Applications

Notices

LinkBack (19) Thread Tools Display Modes
  19 links from elsewhere to this Post. Click to view. #1  
Old 03-31-2007, 01:06 PM
Basic Member

Albert Kadosh 10
Thumbs up Cloning a Background in Photoshop?

I have increased the canvas size on a photo about 1.5" on the left side. It is now blank/white.

I need to "clone" the background of the photo (a muslin) onto this extra space I added.

Nothing I tried worked seamlessly...

I'd appreciate hearing what Photoshop procedures & techniques others have used to do this. Thank you.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-31-2007, 01:35 PM
Basic Member

KevinWeatherly 10
Re: Cloning a Background in Photoshop?

Try using a large brush size, alt click on the background source, hold the left mouse button down and paint away being careful where the source point is, try to keep it on the background, then use the patch tool to refine the edge. This method avoids the numerous circles of cloning. Or, as an alternative, make a selection of the background, copy it and paste as many times as it needs then again use the patch tool.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-31-2007, 03:18 PM
Premium Lifetime Member

David_Buzzard 10
Send a message via AIM to David_Buzzard Send a message via Skype™ to David_Buzzard

Make sure you've feathered the brush or selection. If it's just a hard edge, then it's going to look like an iron on patch.

David Buzzard's Technical Blog

Old 04-01-2007, 03:37 AM
Basic Member

Albert Kadosh 10

What is the "patch tool"? Do you mean the healing brush?

Old 04-01-2007, 05:57 AM
Basic Member

KevinWeatherly 10

Press the letter "J" on your keyboard to scroll through the tool group, it's in with the healing brush I think, the patch tool is excellent for removing spots and join edges that don't quite match.

Old 04-03-2007, 10:56 PM
Premium Member

Greg Bartosik 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Kadosh View Post
I have increased the canvas size on a photo about 1.5" on the left side. It is now blank/white.

I need to "clone" the background of the photo (a muslin) onto this extra space I added.

Nothing I tried worked seamlessly...

I'd appreciate hearing what Photoshop procedures & techniques others have used to do this. Thank you.
Albert.... if the photo is just of the muslin with no subject posing in front of it and the muslin has no distinct, repeating pattern, it should very easy to clone the background. Make sure that the blank space is not selected when you try cloning, otherwise there'll be a distinct seam. If this fails, I'd try a different approach. Make a selection with the rectangular marquee tool around the existing muslin. Go up to Edit>Free Transform. Your selection will be surrounded by a rectangle with 8 tiny squares evenly placed around the rectangle. On the center tiny square of the left edge of the rectangle, click, hold and drag that left edge all the way to left border of your document until it covers all of the white, blank canvas. Click OK to accept the transformation. This will "stretch" the muslin and hopefully it won't look too stretched. Give it a try.
Greg