Pro Photo HOME
Go Back   Pro Photo HOME > Professional Digital Workflow Discussion - Full Access for Premium Members > Photoshop and other Image Applications

Notices

LinkBack (8) Thread Tools Display Modes
  8 links from elsewhere to this Post. Click to view. #1  
Old 11-10-2005, 03:27 PM
Basic Member

RickArnold 10
Removing Flash Glare?

I recently did a wedding where I have some flash glare on things behind the subject. The first few were bounce flashed in a house with the subjects positioned against a fireplace. This fireplace had a picture above it. This picture has an extremelly blown out flash spot in the middle. The picture is too detailed to do much with the healing bruch (drawing of a top down view of a city). The other setting is in a church on an alter and 20 feet into the background the wall has Marble on it. The photos were purposly taken to get backgound exposure with a foreground flash so its not just a hotspot in a dark area its actually in the marble detail. No positioning I could do would remove or reduce it especially trying to keep them centered ideally against the alter. To move things along I decided I would have to fix them in post processing.

Now that I told you about the problems what I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions, techniques, tricks or just plain sympathy [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] about the Flash glare.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Rick

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-10-2005, 06:55 PM
Premium Lifetime Member

rick_allen 10
Re: Removing Flash Glare?

you can make a selection from a spot where there is no glare feather it and paste it to another layer move it over glare. if its all glary then you can make a selection copy to new layer the bring the shadow pointer up on a levels adjustment.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-11-2005, 03:50 AM
Basic Member

Christoph_Jung 10

In my experience if you try to remove flash reflections from glass etc. with curves or whatever, things start to look retouched very quickly.
The only option I see is: Get rid of the picture altogether and replace it with wallpaper, another picture, .... If you're client pays well and is not too far away, go there again, shoot without flash (but perhaps with a tripod :-) and replace the picture with the new one.
If you're lucky and the picture has the flash spot in different locations on different photos, copy/paste with heavy feathering from one photo to another. Subtle changes in perspective will most likely be less obvious than a bright spot - usually you get away with something like this in the background as everybody looks only at the faces anyway.
Christoph

Old 11-11-2005, 05:50 AM
Basic Member

john_Beardsworth 10

If you've some detail in there, you can always try this trick - duplicate the image layer and change the copy's blending mode to Multiply. Fill its mask with black and then use a white brush to paint in the blown areas.

You might also want to try Photoshop CS2's Vanishing Point tool for cloning in perspective.

Old 11-11-2005, 01:10 PM
Basic Member

robert_baker 10

Sometimes I can get away with cloning or pattern brushes then smudging.

Old 11-12-2005, 08:55 PM
Basic Member

Pete_Parker 10

You might try using the patch tool. Select your area with the patch tool and drag it to a section of the picture that is properly exposed. Hopefully the picture has some areas with the same detail as the area encompassed by the flash glare you intend to remove.